Friday, June 22, 2018

Wehaiyo! Drive: Milestones

Hello Wehaiyo! Readers,

I am back with another week of the Wehaiyo! Drive. This week, I did not have much inspiration to write or make posts since I experienced personal setbacks, but I am hoping to get back into the groove next week.


This week's Dramas:


1) What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (김비서가 왜 그럴까)


Watch it on: Viki


I am very interested in this drama, watching episodes as they become available. I really love the chemistry between Park Min Young and Park Seo Joon. Currently up to episode four, I am excited to see Park Min Young's character, Kim Miso aka Secretary Kim and Lee Young Joon played by Park Seo Joon, the Vice President gradually realize their feelings for one another.

Upset after being punched in the face by his older brother, the only place Young Joon wanted to be is to be near Miso. Just like his character in Fight My Way, I think Park Seo Joon is replaying the clueless-in-love role, because if a person shows up at another person's house in the middle of the night, longing for that person, it usually means that the person has fallen in love with the person he or she is waiting for. Young Joon should know that he is in love with Miso.

Back in episode three, I loved the "blockbuster date" that Young Joon arranged for Miso in the amusement park, disguising the reason for the date as an event for employee appreciation to thank her for all her hard work over the years. It is hard for any guy to surpass this blockbuster date experience with a private amusement park, fancy dinner, watching fireworks by boat, a huge cute cow stuffed doll gift, and well, an ending kiss that did not happen.

I do wonder why they did not have these feelings before this entire story started. They were working with each other for nine years, but did not seem to have any romantic feelings until Kim Miso decides to resign from her position. I find that odd. They could have been stuck in a professional groove, but I find it hard to believe that they did not encounter any heartwarming moments that would make them think twice about each other.

I know it seems too early, but I want to see a milestone kiss to seal the deal.

2) About Time (멈추고 싶은 순간 : 어바웃 타임)


Watch it on: Viki

I am equally drawn to the About Time drama as well. It seems Viki viewers think the plot is becoming way too sad, but for me, it is fine. In episode ten, our leading lady, Choi Michaela, played by Lee Sung Kyung, tries a lot of ways to break up with her boyfriend, Lee Do Ha, played by Lee Sang Yoon, who has also been emotionally scarred by his ex-girlfriend, Kim Joon Ah, played by Kim Gyuri.

Michaela or Mika, for short, realizes that she is gaining time rather quickly while Do Ha's time is decreasing rather quickly in return. I think this is because they fell deeper in love with each other. Mika's instincts is to first break up with Do Ha, but she used a really lame excuse such as not loving him anymore and breaking up with him the day after a really fun and romantic date. By the way, Do Ha looked like a puppy while watching the scary movie. The breakup did not make sense to me, but maybe she wanted him to have a great memory of their ideal life before dealing a huge blow to Do Ha. I think the date hurt them both even more because of the memorable date. Furthermore, like Do Ha mentioned, who would accept this kind of excuse of not loving each other anymore as a breakup reason?

Around the same time, Do Ha's fiance wannabe, Bae Soo Bong, played by Im Se Mi, revealed all her evil intentions to her love rivals. If she was truly evil, she would have kept the truth to herself and let everybody move toward their demise, but I think Soo Bong was too impatient and revealed all her intentions like a rookie villian-in-training. Also, her chit-chat with her rivals is really annoying. I am disgusted by her behavior and I cannot wait for the moment she realizes how ugly she became as seen in the mirror that Joon Ah gifted Soo Bong in reference to what Joon Ah said to Soo Bong before ultimately leaving. Soo Bong is setting herself up for her own demise by forcing her marriage to Do Ha.

Lastly, even though words may hurt, Mika cannot hide her true feelings behind her actions when she rushes to save Do Ha from a panic attack on the street. Her only way out is to tell him the truth, but she twists it a little to say that Do Ha is the one draining her time clock and that he should let her go. After thinking about it, if she said she was draining Do Ha's time, Do Ha could say that he does not care that Mika takes his time away since he loves her. However, if Do Ha takes Mika's time away from her timeclock, Do Ha would make sure he stays away from Mika for sure. 

Up to this point, I have no idea where the plot will go next, but I think the story was written brilliantly. Since there is not that much time left for Mika to live, I think Do Ha will eventually realize Mika's lie and get back with her even though he will die earlier because of it. If they meet in the middle, they could live together at least around 30 more years unless the time drains even faster as they fall deeper in love. They can still have time to make a lot of milestones and not worry about having regrets before dying.

3) Come and Hug Me (이리와 안아줘)



Watch it on: Viki

I tried to start this drama because it really seemed like an interesting story. Unfortunately, I did not finish watching the first episode. The reason is not because of boredom, but because sadly, I really did not have enough time this week to watch dramas.

I can tell that this is a sad love story, but I am drawn to the characters and plot line. Leading man, Chae Do Jin/ Yoon Na Moo, well played by Jang Ki Yong, is intense and direct in his interview to become a police officer. When the other three candidates were gossiping about his childhood case, he could have gotten angry or told them off as a normal reaction, but he remained really calm and calmly sat down with him to explain the case to them. I find that creepy and mature at the same time. This is a noteworthy scene.

I will try to write more about this drama in future Wehaiyo! drives.


This week's Music:


1) Woo Jin Young (우진영) and Kim Hyun Soo (김현수) - Falling in love (설레고 난리)



In continuation of mentioning Mixnine stars, Woo Jin Young and Kim Hyun Soo released a special album titled, "Present," to thank their fans for support. I am not disappointed in their single as the song was fun and easy to listen to for a countless number of times. I cannot wait for their next work. 

While Kim Hyun Soo fell out of the Mixnine position in the last episode, Woo Jin Young maintained his first place position at the conclusion of Mixnine.

In the behind the scene music video clips, I can see Kim Hyun Soo naturally speak in dialect, but I am not sure exactly where he is from. However, the recorded version of his voice has no hints of dialect.

2) Kim Dong Han (김동한) - SUNSET




Woah. Kim Dong Han, formerly a Produce 101 contestant and JBJ member, has gone solo with his mini-album, D-day. I was very impressed with his dance skills on Produce 101. His vocal parts while he was in JBJ were also strong. I thought this guy had the full package as an stage entertainer.

I am not too impressed about his debut as a solo singer though, but his tracks are okay and not vocally extraordinary. After listening to his album a few more times, I have started liking it. The main song, "Sunset," just sounds better and better after every play. The song is about how a woman looks in the sunset and how the singer feels about her at that time.

3) TheEastLight (더 이스트라이트) - Let Me Stay With You



I cannot see TheEastLight doing any wrong. Their songs are so good! I am such a fan of their works. Aside from their title track,"Love Flutters," TheEastLight promoted "Let Me Stay With You" by releasing a choreography version of the song. They also sang this song on music shows as well.

The song is about how painful it is for the singer to be a girl's best friend when he would rather be the girls' lover instead.

These guys still seem so young to me, but I have to remind myself that they are old enough to date and possibly experience such feelings that were mentioned in the lyrics, which is not a good thing as it seems to be unrequited love, but it would contribute to their life experience.

Somehow, I think of this song even when I am feeling sad. This song make me feel better during sad times.




I see a lot of rookies reaching milestones with their mini-albums. I want to wish them all the best of luck and success. 

To more milestones....Wehaiyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update cookies preferences