Sunday, June 2, 2013

HK Song Spotlight: Embrace Love (擁抱愛) by Joyce Cheng (鄭欣宜)

Photo Credit: http://bulo.hujiang.com


Updated: 04-FEB-2024

I must admit, before watching a little bit of the TVB sitcom, "·回家 (Come Home Love)", I never paid attention to 鄭欣宜 Joyce Cheng, who sings the opening theme song for the show. I was surprised to find that a veteran singer did not sing this song. An all-around young entertainer, Joyce Cheng is the daughter of entertainers, the late Lydia Shum (沈殿霞) and Adam Cheng (鄭少秋). Joyce released the "Embrace Love" single in 2012. Since "Come Home Love" is extended to 500 episodes, Joyce received a lot more attention and interest from the public. She certainly has my interest. As another proof of her talent, Joyce also composed the music to "Embrace Love."

My favorite lines of the song:

在世間 遮風擋雨有一種愛 (In this world, [through] blocking wind, blocking rain, there exists one type of love)
從六歲到八十也不更改 ([It would] also not alter [be the same for those] from six years old reaching [all the way to] eighty

I like the fact that no matter what your age is, you still need shielding through love. Every person, young or old, needs love. It’s important to remember that without loving support, a human can break down easily.

越行越遠 困倦了總有家中這道門 為我開 ([The] more [I] walk, [The] more [I am] far [The farther I walk], [if I felt] sleepy, [I] always have within my own family, this door, [that] opens for me

I love this line because no matter where a person goes in life, there is always a place called home where a person’s family resides who will openly welcome that person inside to rest no matter what life brings. A truly loving family would do that.

And now, the lyrics! I wanted to translate the lyrics as close to the actual meaning as possible so the lyrics might look strange in English.

Here is a special music video of "Come Home Love":






Here is a fancam performance:



Embrace Love (擁抱愛)


作詞/ Lyricist by:張美賢
作曲/ Composed by:鄭欣宜 (Joyce Cheng)

在世間 遮風擋雨有一種愛 (In this world, [through] blocking wind, blocking rain, there exists one type of love)
從六歲到八十也不更改 ([It would] also not alter [be the same for those] from six years old reaching [all the way to] eighty
任我飛 天空海闊前望將來 (Allow me to fly, air, ocean-wide [boundless, unrestrained] forward hoping [for the] future)
寒或暖 有笑容可一可再 ([When] Chilly or warm, [to] have [a] smiling expression, can [smile] once, can [smile] again

遙遠 隻身參與漫長競賽 ([From a] Distance,  participating in [a] vast long race/competition alone)
回家這路線 快樂佈景四邊覆蓋 (This route to return home, happy setting,  four sides covered)
越行越遠 困倦了總有家中這道門 為我開 ([The] more [I] walk, [the] more [I am] far [The farther I walk], [if I feel] sleepy, [I] always have within my own family, this door, [that] opens for me)

在世間 不聲不語有一種愛 (In this world, [by having] no sounds, [having] no words, there exists one type of love)
柔韌到 叫鐵石種出花開 ([When anything] soft [or] hard arrives,  summon ironstone,  plant [it] out, [so] flowers bloom)
任我飛 不經不覺背包超載 (Allow me to fly, not enduring, not feeling [not realizing that my] backpack [is] overloading)
晴或雨 要記住相親相愛 ([On a] clear or rainy [day], [I] need to remember mutual intimacy, mutual love [to be kind and love one another])

遙遠  萬千心意亦能下載 ([From a] Distance,  ten-thousand, thousand [myriad] regards can also [be] downloaded)
回家卻讓我 處地設身抱緊所愛 (Returning home still allows me [to] put body in place [form another perspective in order to] enclasp that love)
越行越近 歲月裏一切衝擊與障礙 漸化開 ([The] more [I] walk, [the] more [I am] near [The closer I walk], within [the] years [of my life], all assaults and obstructions, gradually dissolve

在世間 遮風擋雨有一種愛 (In this world, [through] blocking wind, blocking rain, there exists one type of love)
從六歲到八十也不更改 ([It would] also not alter [be the same for those] from six years old reaching [all the way to] eighty
任我飛 天空海闊前望將來 (Allow me to fly, air, ocean-wide [boundless, unrestrained] forward hoping [for the] future)
如後盾 去獻奉各種慷慨  (As a back-up, present, with all respect, every kind of generosity)

在世間 不聲不語有一種愛 (In this world, [by having] no sounds, [having] no words, there exists one type of love)
柔韌到 叫鐵石種出花開 ([When anything] soft [or] hard arrives,  summon ironstone,  plant [it] out, [so] flowers bloom
任我飛 不經不覺背包超載 (Allow me to fly, not enduring, not feeling [not realizing that my] backpack [is] overloading)
停頓處 你撐住我的感慨 (Stop[ping] [at this] point, you sustain my laments)


無限暖 最美是這一種(Unlimited warmth, [the] most beautiful [sight is] this type [of] love)

I found a website that features English pronunciation, but the pronunciation method is not the standard Jyutping pronunciation, but the writer's own pronunciation.

I usually don't do this, but I wrote a smoother lyric translation in a document since I had to use it for a talent show performance. If you want a smoother English translation or if you want to print out a nice copy of the lyrics, please click on this link: Embrace Love by Joyce Cheng lyrics

My husband and I re-enacted the song lyrics for the 2013 ALESN talent show (video no longer available):
It wasn't perfect, but we did our best.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Update cookies preferences